Blogger Layouts

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A step up

I got a call last week about a job with a temp company I interviewed for a few weeks ago. A job to work with the city upgrading all systems to Windows 7. I was very excited for the opportunity but chose to take my time when it came to a response. That was my mistake. You see, I wanted to give my current employer the benefit of the doubt and see where the job was going. But when I got an email from my boss saying it'll be another week before I can start actually working because corporate doesn't have their shit together, I knew this place wasn't for me. Coupled with the crazy pay scale I knew what I needed to do. 

So I called the temp company back and accepted the job. Problem was because of my hesitation they asked another temp if he wanted the job and he accepted. Because I was trying to be nice I lost the job. Luckily I hadn't quit my current job just yet. 

A few days go by, still not working and just shadowing, I decided to call the temp company back, just for giggles. "We'll call you if we have anything," was their response. That was at 9am. Fast forward to 4:55pm and a phone call. "Mike, we have a position open on our break/fix team. Interested?" After inquiring about pay and hours I accepted without hesitation. "Ok, see you tomorrow," he said. Crap. So I had to do something I don't like doing, quit on the spot. I'm normally ok with that if the employer has wronged me in some way. I've done it twice before. But this was different. These are cool people. But I did it, and now I'm here. New job!!

Even though it's a contract position, I hope to be here for a while. The knowledge and experience I'm gaining will help in my search for a permanent position. Plus I'm doing contract work with the school board, which looks great on a resume. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment